I have quite a project to share with you today. It is pretty special on a number of accounts:
1) I have finally tackled one of my biggest fears when it comes to sewing...working with lace. And boy, did I throw myself into the deep end with this one!
2) I have not had such a challenge since completing my wedding dress;
3) This is my first White Tree Fabrics Blog Team make!
Sleeves and neckline
9. I drafted the cap sleeves, rather than using the ones from the pattern, because I wanted to take advantage of the scalloped selvage.
10. Time for more hand stitching... to attach the sleeves.
11. I cut a strip of selvage from the remaining fabric, and hand sewed it to the neckline, going from centre back to centre back (via the front!), and also "finished the arm cycles (the portion not covered by the cap sleeves) the same way.
Attaching the layers
12. After trying the layers on together, I hand basted the lace to the underlining at the centre front and underarm side seams.
13. I took all three layers together at the centre back, and handpicked the zipper through all layers. Finish the portion of all layers below the zipper.
14. I then made some covered snaps with the lining fabric, and sewed two pairs at the top of the centre back to the lace.
Needless to say, it was a time consuming project. This wasn't my usual "weekender", but it was much more rewarding. I was finally ready to attempt working with lace, and I am really pleased that doing this the couture way has worked out well.
I must admit though, this was possibly the messiest project that I have ever done! All that thread tracing, snap covering, pins that slipped through the net (yep!) and of course trimming off the excess lace from appliqué seams... My sewing room is a complete mess, and I keep finding red fluff everywhere in the house, and on our clothes... I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person who's pleased that this project is finished!